North American Invasive Species Awareness Week (NISAW) 2022
NISAW is an international event to raise awareness about invasive species, the threat that they pose, and what can be done to prevent their spread.
NISAW is powered by The North American Invasive Species Management Association (NAISMA), which supports local, state, and regional organizations to make NISAW their own with these tools:
Outreach and Communications
NAISMA encourages local, state, and regional organizations to use the FREE NISAW toolkit of outreach and communications resources to raise awareness of local invasive species concerns to elected officials, agency leadership, and the public. NAISMA’s emails, social media posts, and digital advertising campaign aims to reach 500,000 viewers.
Educational Invasive Species Webinars
NAISMA hosts educational webinars on priority invasive species issues the week of NISAW and the 3rd Wednesday of each month. Other organizations may host webinars also. Get more information and register on the NISAW events page.
- Monday, February 28th at 10:00 am central – USGS Decision Science – Modeling and Structured Decision Making
- Tuesday, March 1st at 11:00 am central – Climate Change and Invasive Species
- Wednesday, March 2nd at 11:00 am central – Protect the Uninfested West from Aquatic Invasive Species
- Thursday, March 3rd at 12:00 pm central – Pacific Green Crab Management
- Friday, March 4th at 11:00 am central – Firewood Rules, Certifications, and Recommendations across the USA
NISAW provides an opportunity for organizations to hold formal briefings for Congressional staff to educate and inform on a specific topic or bill.
- Thursday, March 3rd at 10:00 am central – Managing the Hydrilla River Infestation in the Connecticut River
NISAW provides an opportunity for individuals and organizations to meet with elected officials and agency leadership to communicate priorities for invasive species legislation, funding, policy, and management.
Local Events and Awareness Weeks or Months
NAISMA will collaborate with members, partners, and like-minded organizations to arrange social media during the week of NISAW to raise awareness of the economic and ecological impacts of invasive species.